Spiritual and Church growth happens from the inside out.
In the last few months we have put an increased emphasis on prayer at FCC and almost immediately the spiritual atmosphere of the Church was changed. We have a small group that’s get together on Sunday morning and prays for the service. The effect of them getting together and praying for the service produced an increased level of anointing during the services.
On Fridays which was supposed to be our prayer service we spent more time teaching and talking about prayer than actually praying. So this month we decided to change the direction to focusing on praying and allow the Holy Spirit to lead us on when to hit on teaching points. More prayer produced more power during our services.
So I would say in general that our services have become less scripted and since we are praying corporately more and more the anointing level has increased dramatically. There has also be an increase in the manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit.
by George Mueller
A. E. C. Brooks
- 1. I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the LORD's will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.
- 2. Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.
- 3. I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.
- 4. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
- 5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.
- 6. Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.
1 Corinthians 6:12 (Amplified Bible)
Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient and profitable when considered with other things). Everything is lawful for me, but I will not become the slave of anything or be brought under its power.
You know things are getting bad when you go to Starbucks and all the baristas know your favorite drink.
I was becoming a latte fiend. Some days I was knocking back 2 lattes, plus the always necessary muffin.
Folks I was craving green tea lattes with soy a lot.
So after spending some time in prayer about how to walk in a higher level of divine health, it just came up in my spirit that I needed to deal with my craving for sugar.
Are you saying that eating sugar in sin brother preacher? Nope, I’m just saying for me it was something that I needed to lay aside because my desire for sweets had gotten out of control.
The only thing I want to crave is the presence of the Lord.
So today is my second week without lattes, muffins, cake, cookies…
It feels good to be sugar free.
The character of our praying will determine the character of our preaching. Light praying makes light preaching…Talking to men for God is a great thing, but talking to God for men is greater still.